The SF Go Club is the best place to play Go in the SF Bay Area and the oldest Go club in North America. Started in the 1880s by Japanese sailors looking to play Go, it established itself as an official club in 1935 and incorporated as a non-profit in 1984. The club has a rich community of members and a wonderful club-room filled with equipment, both for playing and teaching. It’s a great place to meet interesting people and share this exciting game with them in person.
The club is welcoming to all players new and old and especially beginners. Members are eager to teach and show you the wonders of this mysterious game. There are regular introductory teaching sessions to help get you started.
Membership at the club is available for a nominal fee and a suggested donation is requested for those visiting.
- Large 50 player dojo with custom height tables and professional quality Go equipment.
- Large teaching magnet board, simul playing area, and tatami Go playing area with floor boards.
- Kitchen with sink, fridge, microwave, tea, and hot water kettle.
- Library with over 200 Go books available for check-out by members.
- Seating area with couch, armchairs, and coffee table.
- Co-working space with desks and office chairs.
- Private accessible bathroom.
- Monthly events including tournaments, workshops, socials, visiting professionals, and more!
How to participate
- Stay up to date on all of our events by signing up for our Newsletter.
- Join our Discord channel and Google Mailing Group to communicate with members and club directors.
- Subscribe to our schedule of events by visiting the Calendar Page.
- Visit the dojo!
Board of Directors
- Mishal Awadah – President
- Matthew Barcus – Vice President
- Ernest Brown – Member at Large
- Paul Goodman – Director at Large, Treasurer