The SF Go Club is the easiest and best place to play Go in San Francisco. Established in the 1880s, and incorporated as a non-profit in 1935, we are the oldest Go club in Northern California, and perhaps the United States. We have a great community of members, and a wonderful club-room filled with equipment, both for playing and teaching. It’s a great place to meet interesting people, and share this exciting game with them in person.
Beginners to the game are most welcome to join the club’s meetups. All of our members are eager to teach and show you the wonders of this mysterious game. There are even beginner-specific teaching sessions to help get you started!
We organize to meet regularly in Japan Town, at the Nichiren Hokke Buddhist Church on 2016 Pine Street. Check out our events page for details.
We always have a warm welcome ready for new members, both beginners and veterans alike. It’s all completely free and a great place to hang out.
Stay up to date on all of our events by signing up for our club newsletter.
Schedule of Events
Membership at the club grants you additional benefits, and helps support the Go club financially. Member benefits include:
- An official club rating that staff members will keep updated for you as you play other rated members.
- A bespoke, wood-burned pine nameplate with your name, which tracks your rating.
- Free tournament entry in any SF Go Club sponsored tournament.
- Access to our library of Go books which you can check out.
- Priority teaching lessons with Chris Russel 4D, our club instructor.
- Emails and notifications on upcoming events and club sessions.
Membership costs $60 per year, and is a great way to donate to our club. You can become a member by signing up at the club with one of our instructors.
Mailing List & Discussion Group (Google Group)
If you would like to join the club’s email list/discussion group, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No subject or body is necessary.
The club members may like to ask for a game on short notice, or check to see who is coming to a club meet up. GroupMe is an internet application that allows all of our members to stay connected through a smartphone app, text messaging, and a web app interface, making it accessible to everyone. Join our group by asking one of our members to add you.
Board of Directors
- Mishal “Mish” Awadah – President
- Jay Chan – Vice President
- Eric Branlund – Treasurer, Secretary
- Ernest Brown – Member at Large
- Paul Goodman – Director at Large
- Christopher Russell – Club Instructor