The SF Go Club is the easiest and best place to play Go in San Francisco. Established in the 1880s, and incorporated as a non-profit in 1935, we are the oldest Go club in Northern California, and perhaps the United States. We have a great community of members, and a wonderful club-room filled with equipment, both for playing and teaching. It’s a great place to meet interesting people, and share this exciting game with them in person.
We love welcoming new players and beginners! All of our members are eager to teach and show you the wonders of this mysterious game. There are even introductory teaching sessions to help get you started!
We meet regularly in Japan Town, at the Nichiren Hokke Buddhist Church on 2016 Pine Street, at the intersection of Laguna and Pine.
Membership at the club is voluntary and donation-based. We are free to play and don’t charge for any services.
Stay up to date on all of our events by signing up for our club mailing list.
Schedule of Events
Membership at the club is completely free, just sign up for our mailing list and you’re basically there! If you find yourself enjoying our space, we ask that you donate to the club to help keep our services running. Members at the club enjoy:
- An official club rating that staff members will keep updated for you as you play other rated members.
- A bespoke, wood-burned pine nameplate with your name, which tracks your rating.
- Access to our library of Go books which you can check out.
- Emails and notifications on upcoming events and club sessions.
We suggest donating $60 per year. You can become a member by signing up at the club with one of our instructors.
Interested in taking a more active role in planning Go events with the club? Just send us an email at our mailing list! We’re always looking for more volunteers to help us organize Go events!
Board of Directors
- Mishal “Mish” Awadah – President
- Jay Chan – Vice President
- Eric Branlund – Treasurer, Secretary
- Ernest Brown – Member at Large
- Paul Goodman – Director at Large